Our adventure continues! Our visas expired in Macau about 2 weeks ago. We came back to Hong Kong to wait the 31 days until we can go back.
It has been exciting and go through Chinese New Year again. It is an amazing family holiday time. Think of a two to two and one-half week Thanksgiving holiday. It is time for family and food. Some of the factories just closed down for 14-20 days. The workers just do not come back to work. We see some smaller businesses just close up for the entire time. I love their focus on family!!
|Macau 2016 Chinese New Floats|
We see lots of fun traditions. They cover their doors with signs and posters wishing everyone a happy and prosperous new year. There are many greetings to wish others happiness, health and prosperity.
Some of the traditions many be a hoax but they are unusual.
1. They love the color RED. It is said that all the gamblers wear RED underwear as they gamble to bring them luck.
2. They travel back to their roots for Chinese New Year. If they come from the interior then them all travel back to be with the extended family.
3. People give lycee, red packets (envelopes) with money, to children, missionaries, and people they would like to say "thank you" to, like bus drivers, doormen, hairdressers etc.
4. They have a prade which made-up mostly of floats from large business and casinos.
5. The cities and government plan activities for over 10 days. Including fireworks every night; many people light off their own firecrackers randomly.
|Macau New Year Floats 2016|
Last year I brought an overcoat and hardly used in the winter months, this year it has been colder and I have needed by coat many times. The humidity and cool breeze off the ocean makes it cold. It is still cool and damp and as we get to mid-March. Like home, many of the expat's like to take a warm vacation in the winter months--they have pretty reasonable airfares to many places (people say; we do not travel except between Hong Kong and Macau).
|Joy 2016 Chinese New Year|
Tree covered in red hearts with wishes for New Year
|Turkish Fast Food 2016|
On the 28th of February, we had an apostle from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints come to Macau to meet with the people. It was Elder Stevenson. He radiated as he spoke to the people and mingled with them. He bore testimony of the Divine mission of Jesus Christ. His is the Savior and Redeemer of the world. He gave a short blessing to a member we have been working with since we came and it touched her heart. It will change her life.
|Elder Stevenson in Macau-2016|
We have even been blessed to see our family who in Hong Kong. It is truly a blessing to see them when we return to Hong Kong. We have been blessed with wonderful children and grandchildren. It is a thrill to be with them.
|Hazel's Birthday #9-2016|
|Sunnee and David's Family 2016|
Chinese New Year in Macau
We love you all and look forward to the time we can share more of our experience with you
|Joy and Sanny, good Filipino Friends at their Home|